Saturday, March 28, 2009

Why does my Xbox 360 keep overheating one week after self-repair?

One week ago I bought an Xbox 360 repair guide and rid myself of the E74 error, and my Xbox worked for a week. Now every time i turn it on, the fans get really loud and it the lights signifying that my Xbox is overheating comes on. Do I need to replace the thermal compound i replaced when I originally fixed the Xbox, possibly adding more this time? Do I need to tighten the heat sinks? Please ONLY answer if you know about this. I would really like to know exactly what to do before I open my Xbox up for the second time.





Also, do not answer me saying anything about it being a dumb move on my part to repair my Xbox on my own. My warranty had already expired, and I absolutely refuse to pay $100 on what I already spent near $400 on. The repair did work perfectly until it this started happening. Obviously this is repairable also, so only answer with applicable solutions, and not smartass remarks. It's appreciated, thank you.



You'll probably want to redo the thermal compound. If you didn't use it the first time, Arctic Silver seems to be the best one to use. Oh, and more isn't always better -- you just need enough to ensure that there's good contact between the heatsink and the CPU/GPU that it's trying to cool so don't go overboard with the stuff. Too much can actually make it work worse.




the fans make the noise because they are working harder to cool the system, tampering with the thermal compound and heat sink will only fix it temporarily. the reason why the 360 overheats is because of how the internal air flow system was constructed. the new 360 kinda fixes this problem, yur best bet is to go with a new one

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consumer Electronics