Saturday, March 28, 2009

Is dish network a good company to have as provider for my Television?

I have heard complaints about DirectTV. Then I have heard the same complaints about DishNetwork. I have heard double the complaints about TimeWarner.





But I've had Dish for many years and yeah - sometimes the on-hold time is long, but they have done a decent job for me.





Dish has some of the best tech in the 722PVR. The software and operation is awesome and has won Sat receiver of the year from Home Theater magazine. Dish has also been aggressive with HD only packages.





The down side - a 2 year commitment.





I had TimeWarner for local HD before I upgraded my Dish system and the software on the box was .. ok but nothing great. The only advantage was no contract.





There is a lot of buzz about ATT UVerse service. This is 4 IP addresses of data to your house. If you choose the options - you can record 3 channels at the same time while watching a fourth. Or use one IP address for home internet and 3 for the TV, etc.





(Note: They want you to use 2 tuners for the TV, one for internet and one for local phone service but ... thats up to you. The tech is cool however.)





Whatever you choose - watch for:





- Lease vs buy. I strongly suggest you lease the box so if it breaks, they swap it out for free





- Recording fees (dish has these), charges to use the remote


(TimeWarner has these), connection to a telephone fee reduction

1 comment:

  1. The amount of recording space on my previous U-verse DVR was pretty limited and I really didn't like the picture quality so I actually switched and started working and subscribing with DISH instead. Great decision on my part! Now I have the 922 sling loaded DVR from DISH and not only have a 1 terabyte hard drive but also have sling capabilities where I can watch live and recorded TV anywhere I go from my phone! It's been really cool, and I'm very happy with my services now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Consumer Electronics